I’m here to tell you that healthy fast food does exist. Hooray, and happy dance.
Here’s the bad news: it usually doesn’t come in drive-thru or takeout format. I’m sorry if this is news to you, but those salads at fast food restaurants are sometimes worse for you than the burger!
Here are my best tips for having access to healthy, quick meals on a regular basis:
1) Make large batches when you have some time. I am a huge fan of leftovers. I make large batches of food, and then pre-package them into one or two-person meals to pop into the oven to warm up. I usually use them up within a week but if I’m really planning ahead I label and freeze batches for later use.
2) Learn the art of the big-ass salad.
3) Stock your freezer with frozen veggies. When you’re in a hurry, steam up a heaping plate of green beans or Brussels Sprouts, top with some slivered almonds, and voila you have a quick meal in minutes.
4) Smoothies are super-fast, super-nutritious, super-filling and you can take them on the go. Check out my Smoothie of the Day e-book for some awesome smoothie recipes.
5) If your next meal is a toss up between a McMeal of some sort and not eating at all, don’t eat. You won’t die from skipping a meal, nor will you slow down your metabolism. And it takes at least 60 hours without food for your body to eat your muscles so don’t fret about that either.
Do you have a favourite healthy fast food tip? Go ahead and share it in the comments below!