Should all personal trainers have 6-pack abs?

6 pack abs

Hi there! Today’s post totally needs your participation so once you’ve read through please comment below the article. I really would like your opinion!

Yesterday a friend of mine who is also a personal trainer shared this article on her Facebook page. Many comments ensued. If you don’t have time to read it, the quick-and-dirty summary is that some people think that fitness trainers must have 6-pack abs to be good, and other people say that some trainers who look more… average… know what they’re doing and can get results for their clients no matter what their personal weight is at.

The same could be said for dieticians, nutritionists, doctors, etc. If your physician smokes, can he still be a good doctor? If your nutritionist has a sweet tooth and a bit of a belly, can she advise you on how to stay on a clean diet? If your trainer is kind-of round, can he get you the physical results you desire? Would you work with them?

So, I want to know what YOU think! Does a personal trainer need 6-pack abs for you to hire them? Does a nutritionist have to be super-slim for you to work with them? Let’s get the debate started. Leave your comments in the section below. Please keep a respectful tone and value others’ opinions even if they differ from your own.

Natalie Duhamel

Post to Twitter

Related Posts:

Like this post? Give it a +1 on Google!
This entry was posted in blog and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

11 Comments

1. Posted March 26, 2012 at 07:21 | Permalink

I think it depends. If I am looking to get in better shape, I think the trainer I would have would not need to have a 6 pack. In my fencing work, I acknowledge that I am looking to get the SKILL, so the condition of the trainer is not my prime concern compared to the knowledge. Now if I want to be a high performance athlete, my trainer should have that or have had that.

So nutrition might be more about being healthy, but not about putting on 10 lbs of muscle in less than a year maybe I want a huge hulking guy.

2. Posted March 26, 2012 at 07:40 | Permalink

Six-pack abs are not necessary but I am looking for someone who ‘walks their talk’.

3. Posted March 26, 2012 at 09:49 | Permalink

6 pack abs aren’t needed, but a personal trainer should be in good shape. Same thing with a nutritionist. I wouldn’t see a personal trainer or a nutritionist if they were too thin either. Healthy is what I look for. Yes, people can be healthy if they are very thin, I’m just looking for someone who looks average. As I write this, I realize I sound ridiculous, but there’s no such thing as erasing it right? :)

• Posted March 26, 2012 at 14:11 | Permalink

Ha ha, you don’t sound ridiculous! I do understand where you’re coming from.I do just want to say that I’ve always been pretty thin and that is just how I am, take after my dad’s family. I have always been that way regardless of what I eat and believe me, I never go hungry nor do I eat in any extreme manner! Also doesn’t matter what exercise I do or how much…I always go within a 5 lb radius of one weight. This is just my weight and I feel great at it. I wonder if some people wouldn’t want me to be their health coach because of that and I know that is something I will likely face at times. Sometimes people have very healthy lifestyles, nothing extreme in one way or another but still end up being very thin or not thin enough by today’s standards. We just have to hope we can appeal to a good amount of people enough so they can see what we truly have to offer beyond how we look.

4. Dallas
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:24 | Permalink

I don’t think a six-pack is the reason I would choose a trainer but I would want them to be living a well-balanced, healthy and active lifestyle in order to share their expertise with me.

5. Leonardo Monteiro
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:01 | Permalink

It´s not necessary at all to have a 6-pack abs to be a an excelent personal trainer!!!

6. Rosemary
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 12:27 | Permalink

I don’t think that a six pack is necessary. Being fit means looking and feeling healthy. Exercising, eating well, being in good shape and weight wise. But if I had a six pack why would it be necessary for everyone to know I had one!

7. Posted March 26, 2012 at 14:03 | Permalink

No, my trainer wouldn’t need a six-pack, but I go beyond looks for things like that. Just because you have one doesn’t mean you can shape me up and just because you don’t doesn’t mean you can’t! Also, I once read in a fitness magazine that some people’s bodies are not able to have six packs simply because of the structure or something, the muscles will never look like that no matter how hard they work their abs. I don’t know if that was true, but it seemed to make sense as I see some people who work abs like crazy and watch diet and although ripped everywhere else and belly is slim, it isn’t that defined, but still looks nice. Also, I think it is good that trainers come in all shapes and sizes…yes, be fit, yes, walk your walk, but it is a good lesson for us all to learn there is more than one body type that is healthy and fit. Also, different types will appeal to different types of people. Some people who are just starting out in fitness may find someone less intimidating if they are more regular-looking.

8. Deb
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 16:39 | Permalink

I don’t think a 6 pack is necessary, but I would like someone who “walks the walk”. I wouldn’t want a 300 pound person giving me diet tips either.

9. Posted April 8, 2012 at 10:03 | Permalink

When it comes to training I would look for knowledge and personal philosophy. Does this person live an overall healthy lifestyle? Does this person have the knowledge that will not only help me to train effectively and safely, but to motivate me as well? Extremely defined muscle does not necessarily mean that the individual trains effectively or safely, or is knowledgable about training. I trained with someone who was built like that and he was completely ineffective in every way – the cover clearly did not match the the philosophy of the individual.
    Jacqui recently posted..April Newsletter is here!

10. Posted May 3, 2012 at 03:25 | Permalink